Dear Parent or Guardian,
Re: Forthcoming Election of Parent Governor at Sidestrand Hall School
I am writing to inform you that a vacancy exists on our governing board for a parent governor and we are seeking nominations of parents interested in taking up this role.
The governing board with the Headteacher has overall responsibility for the running of the school. The three core functions for all boards are;
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
You do not need any specific qualifications to be a governor. The most important thing is that you are interested in the success of the school and are prepared to play an active part in the work of the governing board. Parent governors are valued members of the team. An effective board has a range of skills and we would welcome nominations from parents with knowledge or experience of business or educational settings, and confident with email and online networking.
Training and support will be available to help you develop into the role. This will include in-house mentoring and access to external governor training.
Parent governors are elected by the parents or guardians of children attending the school. All parents or guardians of children attending the school are entitled to propose or second candidates and vote. You must get the permission of the candidate before nominating someone.
Nomination papers for this purpose can be obtained at the school from Reception or emailed. The completed nomination papers must be returned to the school by 1st December 2023.
You should be aware that successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and Section 128 check
- Sign a governors’ Code of Conduct
- Provide details of relevant business and financial interests
- Agree to the publication of some details on the school website and on the Get information about schools service
If the number of nominations received are equal to, or less than, the number of
vacancies there will be no need to hold a ballot.
If a ballot is necessary, you will be contacted again with details of how to vote and information about the candidates standing for election.
More information is given in the notes overleaf and you are advised to read them carefully before taking part in the election.
Thank you for your interest, and involvement in this important process. If you would like to know more regarding this election, please email
If you would like to know more regarding the role of a governor please email email@example.com.
Shelley A Taylor
Return your completed nomination form with:
- A signed copy of the disqualification declaration form to indicate eligibility to
stand for election
- A signed copy of the governor details form
- A completed statement in support of your application (in the event of a ballot,
this statement will be shared with parents and carers eligible to vote)
All completed and signed forms must be returned by 01.12.23 to School
If paper based put in a sealed envelope marked – Confidential – Parent governor nomination.
If sending by email please put – Confidential – Parent governor nomination- in