Mechanics and Construction Made Easy
The course takes place over a two year period and is offered to Keystage 4 pupils from external schools. Pupils will gain an Entry Level 3 Extended Certificate Qualification in Vocational Studies and will receive tuition from both mechanic and construction tutors.
Over the two years each pupil will complete a portfolio show casing their achievements and though it is expected each pupil is able to achieve the full qualification there is flexibility for half an award and extension to level one for high achievers.
Should a pupil choose to take either subject forward there is plenty of opportunity to further develop their skills in higher education and for those not wishing to do so they will have gained the skills required for the working environment and essential skills for life.
Construction Instructor – Mr. Davies
Mechanics Instructor – Mr. Wagge
The course is broken down into units specific for each discipline:
- Health and Safety, pupils will learn an overview of the health and safety aspects of the mechanics’ workshop including Personal Protective Equipment, potential hazards and environmental issues.
- Use of Tools and Equipment, pupils will be given the opportunity to use a range of tools and equipment specific to the motor industry through practical sessions whilst working on engines.
- Routine Wheel Checks, pupils will learn how tyres are made, remove and refit wheels and be aware of legal tread requirements for vehicles.
- Routine Brake Checks, pupils will develop an understanding of how brakes work, remove and refit brake pads and check/replace light bulbs.
- Health and Safety, pupils will learn an overview of the health and safety aspects of the construction environment including Personal Protective Equipment, signs and symbols and manual handling.
- Brick Laying Skills, pupils will select and use the appropriate tools and equipment to build a range of brick walls and mix mortar.
- Woodwork Skills, pupils will learn skills enabling them to measure and cut wood accurately to build a bird box/bug hotel.
- Team Work Project, pupils are given a brief to design and construct a soapbox kart to build on previously learnt skills.
- Applying for a Job, pupils will have the opportunity to develop the knowledge to enable them to look for work suited to their skill set and complete job application forms.
- Painting and Decorating Skills, pupils will work on fabricated walls to develop skills, glossing, cutting in and coverage using rollers and brushes.
- Introduction to Self-Employment, pupils will create their own business creating products to sell at the school’s annual Christmas and Summer Fayre’s.
Strands Training Salon
Strands Hair and Beauty is a full service training salon which is available to be used by our students and outside organisations for training purposes in Hair Dressing, Manicure and Skin Care.
Strands Hair and Beauty opened in Autumn 2011 and is located within the grounds of Sidestrand Hall just outside of Cromer on the North Norfolk Coast. The Salon is in a self contained building which remains separate from the main school. The salon has been completely refurbished to a high specification and consists of all the modern facilities of any top end salon.
There are five hair stations, 2 shampoo stations, a nail bar, reception desk and a separate treatment room for message therapy training. High end products are used throughout the training.